“We will not let the world look away while people are detained, arrested, tortured and even disappear because they are ‘suspected’ of being gay.” That’s why activists are calling for an online “tweetstorm” today, seeking the end to Egypt’s latest wave of anti-LGBT arrests, detentions and trials.
The focus is on the repression following the display of a rainbow flag during a Sept. 22 concert in Egypt by the band Mashrou’ Leila. At least 57 arrests of suspected LGBT and LGBT-friendly people have been reported as Egyptian media fueled outrage over the rainbow flag.
We stand in solidarity with the LGBTAQI+ community in Egypt.A rainbow flag was waved at a concert on Sept 22 in Cairo and a wave of repression and violence began. Egyptian media fanned the flames of hate and discrimination.We will not let the world look away while people are detained, arrested, tortured and even disappear because they are “suspected” of being gay.
Egypt MUST release all those arrested because of sexual orientation and gender identity.Show your support by tweeting or posting on Thursday Oct 26!1. Tweet with us on Thursday Oct 26. See sample tweets and tags below or here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gUYMdlAsK7d-LYSVamjACJKf0EqZw12efGy5Kj4q06Y. Use these images: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Nk7VqUMLGsLTN1ckZWQ2xuMG82. Sign & share the petition: https://go.allout.org/en/a/egypt-lgbt-hunt/3. Use this profile pic frame on Facebook: https://goo.gl/BD7sAzRead & share the statement from local activists: http://afemena.org/2017/10/03/statement-human-rights-and-freedom-of-expression-in-egypt-trapped-between-security-services-and-the-media/
As of today, the AllOut petition had been signed by 43,467 people.
- Egypt outage: 7 arrests for rainbow flag; but 274 others? (September 26, 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Egypt arrests 7 for raising rainbow flag at indy rock gig (Sept. 25, 2017, Associated Press)
- Seven arrested in Egypt after raising rainbow flag at concert (Sept. 25, 2017, Reuters)
- How ‘debauchery’ law set up Egypt’s gay crackdown (June 2014, 76crimes.com)
- 11 Egyptians sentenced to prison for homosexuality (April 2016, 76crimes.com)
- Why such silence in Egypt amid anti-LGBTI crackdown? (April 2016, 76crimes.com)
- Egypt crackdown targets human rights defenders
- 20 LGBTI-related arrests in Egypt, Indonesia (September 2015, 76crimes.com)
- Egypt’s LGBTI crackdown continues; what can be done? (March 2015, 76crimes.com)
- Egyptian Reporter Mona Iraqi And Her Channel Owner To Face Criminal Charges Over Gay Bathhouse Raid (February 2015, Towle Road)
- Slew of arrests in Egypt (76crimes.com)
- Egypt: 8 imprisoned on anti-gay charges, 23 for protest (76crimes.com)
- 8 jailed on homosexuality charges in Morocco, Egypt (76crimes.com)
- Political tactics underlie Egypt’s ‘gay wedding’ arrests (76crimes.com)
- Crackdown on LGBT Egyptians: Why now? (76crimes.com)
- Another 10 anti-gay arrests in Egypt (76crimes.com)
- Seeking public approval, Egyptian police arrest 14 for gay sex (76crimes.com)