LGBT activist and reporter Eric Ohena Lembembe was beaten to death over the weekend, LGBT activists in Cameroon announced today.
Fellow activists said they found his bloody, lifeless body early today at his home in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
Investigations by human rights defenders are under way to discover who was responsible for the crime.
At his death, he was serving as the local executive director of the Cameroonian Foundation For AIDS (Camfaids), an advocacy group fighting against AIDS and for human rights of LGBT people in Cameroon, which is one of the world’s most violently anti-gay nations.
Lembembe, a regular contributor to the Erasing 76 Crimes blog, was the author of one of the blog’s most popular articles, “What traditional African homosexuality learned from the West.”
That article is included in the book From Wrongs to Gay Rights, along with his articles about Roger Mbede, who was imprisoned because of an amorous text message to a man; Franky Djome and Jonas Kumie, who were imprisoned because they are a transgender couple; anti-gay blackmailer/extortioner Albert Edward Ekobo Samba; and the homophobic attack on last year’s IDAHO celebration in Yaoundé.
He formerly worked as a writer and editor for the monthly Tribune du Citoyen in Cameroon.
A proper obituary and reports on the investigation of his death will be forthcoming later.
- Cameroon activist tortured, killed; the nation must respond (76crimes.com)
- U.S. on Lembembe murder: Prosecute those responsible (76crimes.com)
- Very sad breaking news; Beating death of LGBT activist Eric Lembembe in Cameroon (rainbowethiopia1.net)
- Prominent gay rights activist tortured, killed in Cameroon (LBGTQ Nation)
- Prominent gay rights activist is found dead in Cameroon (The Lede blog, New York Times)
- Eric Ohena Lembembe, Gay Rights Activist, Tortured And Killed (Huffington Post)
- Prominent Gay Rights Activist Killed in Cameroon (ABC News)
- Rights group: Cameroon gay rights activist killed after warning about ‘anti-gay thugs’ (Washington Post)
- Kamerun: Schwulenrechtsaktivist gefoltert und ermordet (Spiegel Online)
- Cameroonian LGBT rights advocate murdered (Washington Blade)
- Cameroon: LGBTI activist murdered (Montreal Gazette)
- Arsonists, burglars attack LGBT advocates in Cameroon (76crimes.com)
- After attacks, LGBTI defenders in Cameroon seek safety (76crimes.com)