Two Nigerian men in Imo State were stripped naked, beaten and paraded on the street after being accused of having gay sex.
The incident happened early today in the Isiala Mbano area of Imo State. The victim’s identities are unknown.
The victims would have numbered three men, except that one managed to escape just after the mob arrived. The two men who were left behind were subjected to public humiliation and made to walk naked on the street with palm leaves tied around their necks and waist. The abusive mob followed them, as did a crowd of people taking photos and shouting at them.
It is believed that the homophobic mob tied the leaves around the men to portray them as abominations.
An inquiry into the incident by NoStringsNG revealed that the victims were arrested by police and now may need legal support.
Incidents like this are common in Nigeria and seem to be on the rise of late. Encouraged by the country’s anti-gay law, enacted in 2014, homophobic criminals target unsuspecting gay people, who become victims of blackmail, extortion, kidnap, rape etc.
Recently, a similar incident occurred in Anambra State, where an innocent pastor was seized by a mob, beaten, stripped, and subjected to online abuse by criminals who forced him to acknowledge that he is gay.
- Gay pastor in Nigeria stripped naked by homophobes (
- Activist: Stop abusive anti-LGBTQ videos in Nigeria (
- Nigerian man beaten after he arrives wearing female clothes (July 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Nigerian’s Bible research leads to anti-gay death threat (July 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Petition: Stop Nigerian comedian from promoting hate crimes against gays (January 2017, 76crimes.com)
- 152 violations of LGBTQI Nigerians’ human rights in 2016 (January 2017, 76crimes.com)
- 3 of every 4 LGBT Nigerians have been abused, survey says (January 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Nigerian LGBT website fights blackmail (November 2016, 76crimes.com)
- Nigeria: Man kidnapped by blackmailers who claim he’s gay (July 2016, NoStringsNG)
- Nigerian police extort money from man they claim is gay (June 2016, NoStringsNG)
- Nigerian mob demands death for gay prisoners (January 2014, 76crimes.com)