A young man in Lagos, Nigeria, reportedly committed suicide last week after he was blackmailed by homophobes.
By Mike Daemon
Even though sexual orientation is not criminalized in Nigeria, LGBTIQ+ people in the country continue to suffer various forms of social ills. Blackmail and extortion make the list of some of the many things that LGBTIQ+ people suffer in the country based on their real or perceived sexual orientation.
The case of the young man, simply identified as Olamilekan, is one of many sad but familiar stories. His online friends said he poisoned himself last week after being blackmailed.
Friends of the deceased shared his photograph on social media with information stating that the young man had resorted to taking his own life after he couldn’t deal with the trauma of being outed.
They also shared that he drank Sniper, a poisonous chemical originally meant for the farm, which over time has been wrongly adopted by most Nigerians for use as a household insecticide and rodent-killer.
Olamilekan is said to have died in Lagos, where he lived on Oct. 29 after taking the poison.
As at the time of writing this report, not much is known about the young man beyond the friends’ account.
Mike Daemon adds:
We sympathize with the family and friends of the deceased whom we believe must be going through a very difficult time, and wish that they find the strength to deal with the death of the young man.
At NoStringsNG, we understand that many people are unable to handle thoughts of suicide and navigating life as a queer person living in a homophobic clime such as Nigeria. That is why we developed the Qtalk, a counseling and social app for queer Nigerians through which they can access legal and psychosocial support when needed.
To download the app, click HERE.
- Blackmailers force Nigerian student to come out to family (November 2018, 76crimes.com)
- 11 ways to avoid anti-gay blackmail and extortion (April 2018, 76crimes.com)
- This policeman entraps and blackmails gay Nigerians (August 2018, 76crimes.com)
- Police and Nigerian chief vow action against anti-gay blackmail (March 2018, 76crimes.com)
- Man blackmailed after refusing sex with blackmailer (January 2018, 76crimes.com)
- Anti-gay blackmail in Nigeria: ‘I was forced to cooperate’ (November 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Anti-gay blackmail cost Nigerian singer his family, education (October 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Suspected Nigerian gay man allegedly abducted, blackmailed (June 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Ghana: Police make rare arrests in anti-gay blackmail case (April 2017, 76crimes.com)
- Nigerian LGBT website fights blackmail (November 2016, 76crimes.com)
- In Cameroon: A new victim of con artist who preys on gays (July 2016, 76crimes.com)
- How Jamaica’s Charter of Rights aids blackmailers (August 2015, 76crimes.com)
- Gay in Cameroon: Police accuse blackmail victim (December 2013, 76crimes.com)
- Gays in Cameroon, beware this blackmailer (May 2013, 76crimes.com)