A priest in the Anglican Church of Kenya who was suspended over alleged homosexuality has told a court that he will only resume pastoral duties after the church apologizes and pays him damages for defamation.
An Anglican Church priest, who was suspended over alleged homosexuality, has told a court that he can only resume pastoral duties once the Mt Kenya West Diocese Bishop Joseph Kagunda issues an apology.
Mr James Maina Maigua [last week] told Justice Abigail Mshila of the High Court in Nyeri that the bishop linked him to gayism without evidence, and without conducting proper investigations.
He said he was ready to resume his ministerial duties, but the bishop must offer an apology through the media and compensate him for defamation.
Mr Maigua, who was suspended from preaching in the church and had his preaching licence annulled, said he was ex-communicated by the bishop through a letter.
He was suspended alongside Reverends John Gachau and Paul Warui. The trio filed separate suits against the bishop, seeking compensation for defamation.
Before he was forced to leave the Church in August 2015, Mr Maigua was a preacher at St Philips ACK Thunguri Church in Othaya, Nyeri.
“A Labour Court in 2016 directed the bishop to reinstate me to the pastoral duties but he never obeyed the court orders,” he said.
The hearing continues on April 18.
- Kenya church must reinstate 3 allegedly gay priests (
- 3 ousted priests sue Church of Kenya over gay charges (December 2015, 76crimes.com)
- Three Priests in Gay Scandal Sue Anglican Church of Kenya (Dec. 8, 2015, Daily Nation)
- Gay row: Service grounded again (Sept. 28, 2015, Daily Nation)
- I am not a homosexual, says suspended Mt Kenya Anglican priest (Sept. 11, 2015, Standard Digital)
- Suspended Kenyan priest: I am not homosexual (Sept. 11, 2015, 76crimes.com)
- Kenya’s Anglican church revokes priest’s license, suspends four others, over gay sex allegations (Sept. 10, 2015, religionnews.com)
- Anglicans probe more gay priests (Sept. 8, 2015, Daily Nation)
- Anglican Church suspends five clerics over homosexuality (Sept. 10, 2015, Standard Media)
- Kenyan ‘gay’ priest facing expulsion from church (Sept. 6, 2015, Nairobi News)
- ACK suspends four gay ‘married with kids’ priests (Sept. 10, 2015, Nairobi News)