The president of Zambia wants the U.S. to recall its Zambian ambassador because he supports the human rights of homosexuals.
Zambian President Edgar Lungu announced Sunday that Zambia has sent a letter to the United States government asking it to withdraw Ambassador Daniel Foote, who protested the 15-year sentences recently imposed on a gay couple.
Japhet Chataba and Steven Samba were arrested in 2017 when staff at a lodge in Kapiri Mposi called police after spotting the couple making love in their private room. Last year they were convicted of “having sex against the order of nature.” Last month they were sentenced to 15 years in prison.
Foote said Zambian officials should act like leaders of the Christian nation they claim to represent instead of imprisoning LGBT people and encouraging un-Christian slurs against gay Zambian citizens.
Lungu said Sunday at a United Church of Zambia service that he does not want people who support “unchristian values such as homosexuality” in the country.
According to the EyeGambia news website, the Zambian government has reportedly asked that Foote leave the country while the government awaits a diplomatic response from the United States.
- Zambia sends home US ambassador for his PRO-GAY antics (December 17, 2019, EyeGambia)
- Zambia’s anti-gay president wants US ambassador to leave the country after defending two men jailed for loving each other (December 17, 2019, PinkNews)
- President Lungu asks the US Government to withdraw its Ambassador to Zambia (December 15, 2019, Lusaka Times)
- U.S. envoy to Zambia: Act like Jesus, not like bigots, if you’re a Christian nation (December 2, 2019, 76crimes.com)
- US ambassador ‘shocked’ by Zambian president’s anti-gay comments. In an interview with Sky News, President Edgar Lungu has called homosexuality “unbiblical” and “unchristian”. (December 2, 2019, Sky.com)
- U.S. faces protests from Zambia after criticising 15-years jail for gay sex (December 2, 2019, Thomson Reuters)
- Foote Re-Affirms Gay Support…Threatens Economic Sanctions if Gays are not protected (December 2, 2019, Zambia Reports)
- Zambia blasts U.S. envoy who protested 15-year sentence for gay couple (December 1, 2019, 76crimes.com)
- Zambia: 15-year prison sentences ‘shocked the world’ (November 2019, 76crimes.com)/li>
- Zambian judge sentences men to 15 years for gay sex (
- Why is Zambian couple in jail? Because of King Henry VIII (
- Zambian court convicts two men for gay sex (
- Zambia rejects call to make gay sex legal (, 76crimes.com)