Museveni attended an event to mark World Aids Day at the Boma Grounds in Fort Portal, Kabarole, Uganda.
From the Uganda Monitor, this is what he reportedly said, on HIV prevention:
“Those NGOs and whites come deceiving you that circumcision and condom use are the best ways to protect yourself against HIV/Aids. But for me I advise you to put padlocks on your private parts.
“I told my children that once someone is affected by HIV/Aids , they have betrayed their families because of the high hopes we usually have in children.
“So whenever my children would return for holidays, I would ask them whether the padlock is still on.
“I feel so ashamed and angered when I attend these HIV/Aids meetings. Why should you sleep with someone you do not trust?”
The King of Tooro, Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukidi IV also attended at the event.
With obvious wisdom, he said that poverty and ignorance are the major causes for the spread of HIV/Aids in Uganda.
Ugandans comment in Uganda Monitor:
Olum S: “I know someone who should seriously consider padlocking his own mouth ASAP; there’s more than enough nonsense, junk, emerging from out of there.
“His feelings of ‘shame and anger’ when attending these AIDS functions, is absolutely nothing compared to the acute sense of shame and anger one has on being reminded that this individual is actually a whole President. This is the last man that should be allowed to moralise on any issue.”
Joseph S Bamutta: “The Government’s ABC strategy is not working and instead of owning up, the President chooses to continue with business as usual. Given there will be 400 new infections by the close of today and every day of the next twelve months, a condom approach should be emphasized. It is the more effective approach. You wouldn’t expect boda boda cyclists to ride safely without helmets, even if all underwent training of the highway code. This would be contrary to common sense.
“Condoms should be subsidized by government, distributed free in tertiary institutions among others. To emphasize abstinence and faithfulness has proven to be wishful thinking.”
- Ugandan activists to U.S.: Thanks for heeding our advice (76crimes.com)
- Uganda: U.S. picks AIDS contractor, ousts anti-gay group (76crimes.com)
- LGBT Ugandans: Here’s how you can help us (76crimes.com)
- Uganda: Setback for anti-gay group, but also for AIDS fight (76crimes.com)
- Ugandan Kadaga Continues Her Xmas Tirade Tradition Attacking Gays (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Bike ambulances deliver healthcare in rural Africa (roadtrafficsigns.com)
- Counsel adolescents about AIDS” We shall fund AIDS treatment with or without aid – President (weinformers.net)