No help is currently on the way for two lesbians arrested and jailed on homosexuality charges in Ebolowa in southern Cameroon, according to the anti-AIDS, pro-human-rights group Camfaids.
Camfaids arranges help for LGBT prisoners and defendants in the Cameroonian capital of Yaounde, but Ebolowa is 160 kilometers south of there.
Under Cameroonian law, prison sentences of up to five years are supposed to be imposed only for people convicted of specific homosexual activity, but it is often interpreted as justifying imprisonment for people who are suspected of being homosexual.
- 2 lesbians arrested in Cameroon (not 4) (76crimes.com)
- A visit to prisoners held on ‘suspicion of homosexuality’ (76crimes.com)
- Cameroon: Two lesbians sentenced to nine months (76crimes.com)
- 3 LGBT activists arrested as Cameroon harassment continues (76crimes.com)
- Slain LGBT activist’s work survived his murder (76crimes.com)