Faith and religion

Nations with anti-LGBT laws: 49% Christian, 45% Muslim

Map of the 76 countries with laws against sexual relations between people of the same sex.

Map of the 76 countries with laws against sexual relations between people of the same sex.

Many of the world’s 76 countries with anti-homosexuality laws have Muslim majorities, but most are majority-Christian.

Of the total, 45 percent (34 countries, in this blog’s tally) have a Muslim majority. Majority-Christian countries account for 49 percent of the total (37 countries).

Muslim majority

1 Algeria
2
Egypt
3 Eritrea
4 Ethiopia
5 Gambia
6 Libya
7 Mauritania
8 Mauritius
9 Morocco
10 Somalia
11 South Sudan
12 Sudan
13
Tunisia
14 Afghanistan
15 Bangladesh
16
Brunei
17
Daesh (or ISIS / ISIL) — acts like a violently repressive country, but lacks  international recognition
18
Iran
19
Iraq
20 Kuwait
21 Lebanon (law ruled invalid in one court)
22 Malaysia
23 Maldives
24 Oman
25 Pakistan
26 Palestine/Gaza Strip — also lacking broad international recognition as a country
27 Qatar
28 Saudi Arabia
29 Syria
30 Turkmenistan
31 United Arab Emirates
32 Uzbekistan
33 Yemen
34 Indonesia (Aceh Province and South Sumatra only)

Christian majority

1 Angola
2 Botswana
3 Burundi
4 Cameroon
5
Comoros
6 Ghana
7 Guinea
8 Kenya
9 Liberia
10 Malawi (enforcement of law suspended)
11 Namibia
12 Nigeria
13 Senegal
14 Sierra Leone
15 Swaziland
16 Tanzania
17 Togo
18 Uganda
19 Zambia
20 Zimbabwe
21 Antigua & Barbuda
22 Barbados
23 Dominica (But see “Dominica leader: No enforcement of anti-gay law” )
24 Grenada
25 Guyana
26 Jamaica
27 St Kitts & Nevis
28 St Lucia
29 St Vincent & the Grenadines
30 Trinidad & Tobago
31 Papua New Guinea
32 Cook Islands
33 Kiribati
34 Samoa
35 Solomon Islands
36 Tonga
37 Tuvalu

Other

31 Bhutan
32 India
33 Myanmar
34 Singapore
35 Sri Lanka

 

6 thoughts on “Nations with anti-LGBT laws: 49% Christian, 45% Muslim

  1. Pingback: Países y territorios del mundo que penalizan la homosexualidad: 50 % de mayoría musulmana, 43 % de mayoría cristiana y 7 % de otras religiones | El Rugido de la Libertad

  2. Boy, talking about misleading statistics. Of ALL the Muslim countries, which have anti-gay laws? ALL of them, some of of them even have the death penalty for gay sex.
    Of all the other countries who has such laws? A few countries, mostly in Africa, and mostly developing nations.

    Like

    • Dear Dom,

      You’re wrong.

      Not all Muslim-majority countries have anti-gay laws. Without deep research, I come up with the following list of Muslim-majority countries without anti-gay laws: Albania, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bosnia, Burkina Faso, Chad, Djibouti, Guinea-Bissau, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Niger, Tajikistan and Turkey.

      Christian-majority countries with anti-gay laws aren’t just “a few countries,” unless you think that the number 37 qualifies as “a few.” Technically it’s true that they are “mostly” in Africa — 54% of them are; the remaining 46% are not.

      — Colin Stewart, editor/publisher of this blog

      Like

      • Also, the anti gay laws in many of those Islamic countries were introduced by (Christian) European colonial governments, particularly section 377 of the British Penal Code, and retained after independence.

        Like

  3. Pingback: Países y territorios del mundo que penalizan la homosexualidad: 49 % de mayoría musulmana, 43 % de mayoría cristiana y 8 % de otras religiones | Asociación LGTBI Orgullo Leonés

  4. Pingback: Cristianos Gays » Países y territorios del mundo que penalizan la homosexualidad: 50 % de mayoría musulmana, 43 % de mayoría cristiana y 7 % de otras religiones

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s