The U.S. Department of State issued this statement today on the murder of LGBT activist and Erasing 76 Crimes journalist Eric Ohena Lembembe in Cameroon:
Murder of Cameroonian LGBT and AIDS Activist Eric Ohena Lembembe
We deplore the brutal murder of Eric Ohena Lembembe, who was found tortured to death in his home in Yaoundé yesterday. We condemn this terrible act in the strongest terms and urge the Cameroonian authorities to thoroughly and promptly investigate and prosecute those responsible for his death.
Eric Ohena Lembembe was the Executive Director of Cameroonian Foundation for AIDS (CAMFAIDS), an organization dedicated to the fight against AIDS and for the human rights of LGBT people in Cameroon. Just two weeks ago, Mr. Lembembe spoke out against the recent break-ins at the offices of groups advocating for gay rights. The local office of one organization, Alternatives-Cameroun, was set on fire on June 26th.
The United States actively promotes respect for the human rights of all people, including LGBT individuals, in Cameroon and around the world. We will continue to support activists, like Mr. Lembembe, who stand up for the human rights of all people, regardless of who they are or who they love.
- Beating death of LGBT activist Eric Lembembe in Cameroon (76crimes.com)
- Cameroon activist tortured, killed; the nation must respond (76crimes.com)
- Very sad breaking news; Beating death of LGBT activist Eric Lembembe in Cameroon (rainbowethiopia1.net)
- Prominent gay rights activist tortured, killed in Cameroon (LBGTQ Nation)
- Prominent gay rights activist is found dead in Cameroon (The Lede blog, New York Times)
- Eric Ohena Lembembe, Gay Rights Activist, Tortured And Killed (Huffington Post)
- Prominent Gay Rights Activist Killed in Cameroon (ABC News)
- Rights group: Cameroon gay rights activist killed after warning about ‘anti-gay thugs’ (Washington Post)
- Kamerun: Schwulenrechtsaktivist gefoltert und ermordet (Spiegel Online)
- Cameroonian LGBT rights advocate murdered (Washington Blade)
- Cameroon: LGBTI activist murdered (Montreal Gazette)
- Arsonists, burglars attack LGBT advocates in Cameroon (76crimes.com)
- After attacks, LGBTI defenders in Cameroon seek safety (76crimes.com)